Friday, June 11, 2010

Booty-Shakin' Tunes

Last night, Mr. Octopus and I cracked a bottle of wine, opened our computers, and settled down to do one of the more fun aspects of wedding planning: picking the "special songs" for our wedding reception. We're possibly jumping the gun on this a little, seeing as our information sheet isn't due to the DJ for, like, two more months, but it's fun! So why not!

The very first choice we made was our bridal party entrance song. Over the past few months, we've been watching the entire series of The Wire (it's unbelievably amazing! Put it on your Netflix queue, you won't be sorry!), and we have been super into this song ever since it was featured in season 4. So, our bridesmaids and groomsmen will be announced to.....

"Move on Up," by Curtis Mayfield. We listened to this song probably four times more than necessary last night. Oh man, it's so fun.


Our entrance together is a special request of mine, because I happen to love the singer so very, very much. We'll be walking in accompanied by the sassy, fierce sounds of...

"Crazy in Love," by Beyonce & Jay-Z.


Our first dance song was a no-brainer. In fact, this was one of the very first things we've always known and agreed on about our wedding. We'll be dancing to "The Luckiest," by Ben Folds, a song that is very, very personal to us. I will cry during this song. Guaranteed.

And in a wide sea of eyes, I see one pair that I recognize.....SOB.
I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you.......SOBBBB.
I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know we belong......SOB SOB SOB!!!!

We also picked our cake-cutting song. It was actually the runner-up for our first dance song, because it's another song that means a whole lot to us. It just couldn't compare to "The Luckiest," but we just wanted to include it somewhere: "God Only Knows," by The Beach Boys.


We also have one special request song, although we're not sure where or how to fit it in. It would make my groom really, really happy to have the opportunity to bellow the University of Pittsburgh victory song with his groomsmen at some point during the reception. Not gonna lie, my two Pitt bridesmaids and I would also probably not shy away from that opportunity.

The lyrics in this video are not actually correct, though. The part where it says "fight, Pitt, fight! Fight, Pitt, fight! V-I-C-T-O-R-Y"? Every Pitt student and alum knows that the words actually are (earmuffs, Mrs. Cheeseburger): PENN STATE SUCKS! PENN STATE SUCKS! P-E-N-N-S-T-SUCKS!

About midway through the process (and three-quarters of the way through the wine), Mr. Octo and I got into a brief squabble about whether or not we should include "Copacabana," by Barry Manilow, on our playlist. He (and his best man, via e-mail) voted an enthusiastic yes, I was a staunch no. We ended up compromising with ABBA instead. Look at us, resolving conflict with peaceful compromise! We're going to be awesome at marriage.

And, just for fun, the #1 song on our "must play" list....

"Don't Stop Believin", by Journey. Oh my God I love this song so, so, so, so much. It makes me want to fist-pump my face off. Is there any better bonding experience than boozily singing the chorus of this song at the top of your lungs with your friends?


Working on our music choices was definitely one of the more fun and light-hearted wedding activities Mr. Octo and I have done together. Except for the argument about Barry Manilow. And the other brief argument about whether or not to play the Chicken Dance (he was pro-Chicken Dance. I turned into a tyrant and claimed executive veto on that one).

What did you choose for your "special" wedding reception songs? Did you and your fiance have any disagreements about what to include?

No comments:

Post a Comment