Monday, March 8, 2010

Red and Purple: Too Legit to Quit

Occasionally, when people ask what our wedding color scheme is and I reply "red and purple," I get a mega-hairy eyeball.


(Source.)

Getting a decidedly unenthusiastic response to the ideas I'm envisioning often causes me to second-guess myself. I know that I have a good general sense of aesthetics, but I'm also not the effortlessly super-hip friend who is always rocking an awesome vintage skirt with the perfect accessories from Anthropologie, you know what I mean? Sometimes, to be honest, I feel unsure of my own judgment in matters of taste and style.

The intimidating thing about planning a wedding is that your taste in everything is right out there in the open for everyone to see. Your taste in food, your taste in clothing, your taste in colors and decorations and paper products and venues and flowers and and and.....

Putting yourself and your ideas out there like that can be a little unnerving (at least it is for me, anyway)! But I also try to remind myself that, really, I'm the only person who will notice if the colors, details and decor I imagine don't end coming together after all. I also tell myself that no matter what kind of stink-eye a person delivers to me upon hearing the words "red and purple," I've got to stick to my gut, which is telling me that my wedding color palette is going to be flyyyyy!

Just to double-check my instincts, I made myself another inspiration board today, based on what looks good in my imagination.


Top row: 1, 2, 3, 4. Middle row: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Bottom row: 1, 2, 3.

Now, I don't know about anybody else, but I look at this and think, OH HELL YEAH! Red and purple is fierce! (And also a teeeeeeny bit of dark raspberry pink is creeping in. Don't tell my groom.)

Lessons learned:
* Trust myself.
* Red and purple is indeed a pretty color combination.
* But even if it weren't, in the grand scheme of things, my wedding color palette is not a very big deal.

Have you ever second-guessed your ideas for the look of your wedding, or worried that it wouldn't turn out the way you imagined? How did you get over it?

1 comment:

  1. I love it!! I think red and purple look great together...they are both jewel tones so why not?! Can't wait to see how you tie things together :)

    ReplyDelete