Thursday, December 17, 2009

Wearing Ivory to the Wedding

Let me tell you something: I am PALE. How pale? The only makeup I use has names like "lightest ivory" and "alabaster." Once, when I was wearing a skirt, my friend asked me where I had gotten my tights--she thought I was wearing white stockings (ha ha, NOPE! Just my natural skin tone, girlfriend!) I have never in my life gotten a tan, partially because I am basically incapable and partially because I hide from the sun for fear of burns. I could give the Cullen family a run for their money.

Don't believe me? Check out this photographic evidence of myself, Mr. O, and Groomsman/Brother Adam, in which it is clear that I am literally a different color than the two of them:



Or this one of Bridesmaid Clara and me (I choose not to explain anything else about this picture):


When I was younger, I used to be embarrassed about it, but not anymore. I have embraced my ivory complexion. I think it's pretty, and I am definitely not going to try any kind of real or artificial tanning for the wedding. So, now I'm thinking about what kind of makeup would complement my skin tone best. I've been perusing the Internet for pictures of celebrities who, like me, have blonde/reddish hair, blue eyes, and cool (i.e. pink) undertones to their skin. Here's what I've come up with:

Kirsten Dunst

(Source.)

Nicole Kidman

(Source.)

Lindsay Lohan (who is a train wreck these days, but, if you remember, used to be fierce as hell)



(Both from here.)

Amy Adams

(Source.)


(Source.)

Christina Hendricks (who plays Joan on Mad Men and is the object of my most passionate girl crush)

(Source.)

A lot of these pictures have some things in common, like berry/pink lips and using shades of gray to strongly define the eyes. I think it's really pretty, and definitely the direction I'm going to go for my makeup.

How are you going to use makeup to play up your skin tone?

1 comment: