Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Unearthing Wedding Artifacts

Let me set the scene for you: Grammy Octopus's 80th birthday is in a few weeks. Having seen the MyPublisher photobooks I have created for special occasions in the past couple of years, Mom Octopus had a great idea--to create a MyPublisher album commemorating my grammy's life! However, after a great deal of wailing and teeth gnashing when the MyPublisher drag-and-drop system proved to be more than she could handle, Mom Octopus overnighted the CD of scanned photos to me with a note: "Thank you for helping me. Now I won't have to kill anyone or smash the computer. Love, Mom."

So, now creating the photobook for Grammy Octopus's birthday party is my job. I settled down with some Say Yes to the Dress in the background, popped in the photo CD, and OMFG!!!!!!!! MOM OCTOPUS!!!!!!! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME HOW FRIGGIN' AMAZING THESE PHOTOS ARE?!?

If my grandmother understood how computers work, she would be an amazing blogger. She's photographed every single major life event since ever, basically, and documented all of them with detailed captions. So, hive, I am very pleased to present to you.....

Octo-Weddings In History

Grammy & Poppa Octopus, engaged in 1951, celebrating at a party. Grammy Octopus killin' it in a polka dot tulle dress and red lipstick:

Photobucket

AAAACK! I cannot believe the grandparents I know today would engage in saucy behavior like this! (Although, apparently, she couldn't either--the caption reads, 'Really! Engaged, too.')

Photobucket

Grammy Octopus, a bride in 1951:

Photobucket

Photobucket

My grandfather's 1950s haircut in this photo kills me. Also my grandmother's porcelain-doll makeup.

Photobucket

Moving on to Mom and Dad Octopus's 1981 (I think?) wedding:

Photobucket

They had their wedding reception in a state park and grilled hamburgers for dinner. Also, see the wreath of flowers in my mom's hair? When she walked up the aisle and reached the altar, my dad told her she looked like a smiling flower bowl. This is the story I have heard repeated the most about my parents' wedding. My dad hates that story. Sorry I just told the whole Internet, Dad!

Aunt Cindy & Uncle Jimmy's sometime-in-the-80s wedding, posing away in my grandfather's antique Model-T:

Photobucket

After almost-sixty years of marriage, here are Grammy and Poppa Octopus today, walking up the aisle at my wedding:

Photobucket

Looking at this series of pictures is really amazing to me!

Photobucket

Kind of amazing how a family can go from this.....

Photobucket
GAAHHH!!! I LOVE THIS PICTURE!!!

Photobucket
Do not stare directly at my dad's tiny denim shorts or you will turn to stone. Seriously, WTF, Dad.

....
to this......

Photobucket

....in just a couple of decades.

(Pro photos from my wedding by Corey Ann Photography.)

Do you have any favorite old family wedding photos?

PS.

Photobucket

Photobucket

(Sorry. Couldn't help myself. They're too awesome.)

No comments:

Post a Comment